Game Hive is building a new generation of casual mobile games. A people-and-fun-oriented studio, we are dedicated to creating games that tap into the interests of anyone and everyone! At Game Hive, we look towards innovation, invention and all-around epic-ness, not only in our games, but also in the people behind them. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company, alongside strong talent, working on some of the most popular titles in the mobile space.
We're always open to connecting with new talent for our development team! If you thrive in fast-working, team-based environments and are passionate about creating games that anyone can play... then this is for you!
The Hero Profile
The Software Developer (Backend) will be working on one of our two leading titles, acting as a key member of the development team. You are the type of person who can handle a fair amount of work freedom while understanding how to manage yourself. Knowing that, "with great power comes great responsibility," you move fast, and you thrive off of new solutions to unique problems. You know when to build something on your own or when to leverage existing solutions, and have confidence in your skills to make key decisions.
Python, SQL, Flask, SQLAlchemy, Memcached, Redis, Celery, Kubernetes, Docker, Cloud Services — AWS and GCP.
What You’ll Be Doing (Responsibilities)
- You’ll be developing and designing the backend component of our mobile game features.
- You’ll be working with other departments of our team to deliver a fun and engaging game.
- You’ll be keeping features you worked on well documented and well tested.
- You’ll be ensuring the performance, scalability, reliability, and security of our servers.
- You’ll be collecting metrics from game usage to server health.
- You’ll be developing internal tools and our internal portal used by our team.
- You’ll be working with a series of production deployments.
- You’ll be talking about games. A lot. And playing some too, if you like.
Max Level Skills (Requirements)
- A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent education and/or experience.
- Excellent Python programming skills (almost borderlining parseltongue), or similar language — 2+ years of professional working experience with Python;
- Experience and familiarity with SQL. You are able to design database schemas for large features and conjure queries to make the database give what you want — 2+ years of professional working experience with SQL.
- Familiarity with a Python web framework, such as: Flask, Django.
- Familiarity with a Python ORM, such as: SQLAlchemy, Django ORM.
- Familiarity with a linux-type environment.
- Knowing when to use the database and when to use the cache with caching systems, such as: redis, memcached.
- Comfortable in managing the performance and reliability of servers.
Bonus Skills (Nice-to-haves)
- Familiarity with task queues (i.e. Celery)
- Experience with containerization (i.e. Docker)
- Familiarity with JS web frameworks and front-end web development
- Familiarity with cloud services (i.e., Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform)
What it means to be a part of the Hive.
Game Hive is proud to be Great Place to Work-Certified and in the last year alone, were recognized in the lists: Best Workplace in Technology, Best Workplaces for Today’s Youth and Best Workplaces in Ontario. Connect with us, and find out why!
We are people-first. So we provide our people the best support and strive to make our workplace truly one-of-a-kind. We have an epic team, with pretty cool perks to boot.
- Valued ideas & input: you will be frequently asked to take charge in your projects and you will see your ideas come to life.
- Receive a competitive salary and growth structure
- Receive a comprehensive health and dental spend, ready for you on Day 1
- An education spend, ready for you on Day 1. We want you to always be learning!
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources.
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused, no-BS environment.
- We’ve adapted and we’re remote (for now), but the fun certainly doesn’t stop - we still have regular paid team lunches, contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few. And we’ll adapt to office-life when the time comes, which involves:
- Working in a central office location with spectacular food and all the (healthy, and not-so healthy) snacks & drinks you can consume. And a dedicated game room, of course!
- We make games. Popular games that have generated over 120 million downloads. You’ll be working closely with the game teams to provide the infrastructure for important game features, in part or in full.
- We are our own system admins. We monitor and manage the performance and reliability of our servers.
- We are secure. The idea of storing passwords in plaintext makes us (and you!) cringe, while the idea of catching cheaters makes us giddy.
- We do a full stack. From internal web portals, to backend game components, to cloud infrastructure. We do it all.
- We like a fun workplace. We have challenging projects where our talented people can work on ideas that they're passionate about.
- We’ve adapted and we’re remote, but you better believe the fun doesn’t stop — we’re committed to maintaining and dare-we-say, even elevating our GH fun times culture with: regular paid team lunches, at-home contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few. And we’ll adapt to office-life when the time comes, which involves:
- Working in a central office location with all the (healthy, and not-so-healthy) snacks & drinks you can consume.
- Oh, and we play games. Often.
Still interested? Good!
- Send us your resume and cover letter in a pdf format, introducing yourself and why you're the talent that we need!
- Links to your GitHub and personal projects are a huge plus.
Game Hive is an equal opportunity employer. We put heavy value in diversity and inclusion and encourages all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.