Game Designer / Mathematician
Toronto, ON, Canada .
full-time . November 4, 2022
The Hero Profile (Role)
We are looking for a Game Designer (Mathematician) with strong quantitative capability to work on and shape something secret and new we’re working on! The ideal candidate understands the value of metrics-driven design, approaching game design with retention and engagement in mind.
You are familiar with all the top mobile titles, specifically in the casual, f2p space. You have joined projects in all stages of development, from prototyping, through production, to liveops.
The Game Designer (Mathematician) will be responsible for creating new game content and features while also iterating on current gameplay mechanics. Strategic and creative, you understand that both data and creativity are the secret ingredients to produce innovative game design.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Making things happen! You will be transforming ideas from the Product Owner into detailed and clear designs, communicated through:
- documentation, spreadsheets and flows.
- Developing features for core gameplay, owning the balance and progression of the game.
- Designing to create epic game experiences and progression, using rewards and monetization as driving factors.
- Providing actionable recommendations and working directly with programmers and artists to ensure game design mechanics and user experiences are correctly implemented.
- Outlining and developing stage mechanics, gameplay scenarios and prototypes.
- Analyzing user testing and analytics to recommend design solutions to the product.
- Using a metrics-driven approach to game design, using our data to improve the product and game experience.
- Being an advocate for players by designing features that exceed their expectations
Max Level Skills (Requirements)
- 4+ years of experience in mobile, free-to-play game design in a professional capacity, which includes:
- experience and confidence in game-tuning and optimization for f2p games.
- Developed and designed major game systems and content for at least one shipped mobile title
- Wizardry in excel and spreadsheets! Numbers get your gears going!
- Expertise in documentation for features and specs.
- Strong understanding and proven advocacy for the player experience and journey.
- A wealth of knowledge in game monetization concepts and economic modelling.
- Experience diving deep into data and extracting actionable insights for game design.
- Experience in translating game concepts into on-screen gameplay.
- Ability and excitement towards rapidly generating new fun game mechanics and levels
- Aptitude for learning new technology, level editors and scripting languages.
- are passionate mobile games, of course!
- understand the importance of transparency and reproducibility as best practices
- are familiar with the latest trends in mobile games
- are communicative - whether written to verbal, you are confident in your excellent ability to communicate. Strong written and verbal English is essential.
BONUS POINTS (Nice-to-have, but not required):
- Knowledge and familiarity of Unity
- A postgraduate degree in engineering, mathematics or related field
- Knowledge and proficiency with scripting languages (e.g. Python, Matlab, Lua…)
- Coding knowledge and/or some amount of technical experience with programming
- Build games and work on projects that you’ll be proud of!
- Competitive salary and growth structure
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits spend, from Day 1.
- A continuous education spend, ready for you on Day 1. Learning and development are key here.
- Access to the technology you need to do great things (hardware and software, PLUS an extra spend to use on your home office set up)
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources.
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused, no-BS environment.
- We are remote, but the fun keeps on going — we’re committed to our GH fun times culture with: regular paid team lunches, at-home contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few!
Join the Hive
Are you one of us?
Then submit your resume and cover letter, outlining your experience in game design and what you’ve been playing recently… We want to hear from you!
Game Hive is building a new generation of casual mobile games. A people-and-fun-oriented studio, we are dedicated to creating games that tap into the interests of anyone and everyone! At Game Hive, we look towards innovation, invention and all-around epic-ness in not only our games, but also the people behind them. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company, alongside a veteran team, working on some of the most popular titles in the mobile space.
Game Hive is an equal opportunity employer. We put heavy value in diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you!